Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Be Still

7-26-11 Yay, it's Tuesday and I'm actually posting about the fast today- hopefully this is the start of a good habit. I pray that it will honestly help me to process and deepen the cries of my heart, increase connection with the Spirit, and refocus my attention on Him no matter what the rest of the day has held. To be honest, this afternoon was quite busy and there were still a lot of details I needed to take care of associated with our move, but this morning, before I actually missed a meal, before hunger set it, I felt the presence of the Spirit. I prayed early in the morning about what to focus my prayers and thoughts on today, and I sensed the Lord saying to me

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10

When I started this discipline of fasting, I had this sense that I was accomplishing something. I am the type of person who weighs the pros and cons of even the smallest tasks before completing them. ie.should I pick up that toy? It will take a lot of energy and muscle to bend over and get it, will I likely step on it later today, will it hurt if I step on it, will it be a good lesson for my daughter to pick it up instead, she's going to be up soon and then there will just be more toys.....and on. So according to my personality, I must think that I, the world, or God am benefting more than the costs of my fasting, so it is worthwhile. But I was struck by this verse and reminded of a book title a pastor once described in a sermon- Prayer: A Royal Waste of Time. We are so rushed as human beings today that it seems logical to cut out any unnecessary activity, but I sensed today that God just wanted me today- just to spend time with me, for me to think about Him, see Him in the world, in others. I felt such joy and freedom in this, so my prayer today is simply acknowledging and praising God in and for all things.

No comments:

Post a Comment