Thursday, July 21, 2011

Sing a New Song

If you know me, you know I like to sing. I sing at church, for weddings, in the shower, maybe karaoke, stuff like that. And like many other people, I like to sing in the car to the radio. I was in and out of the car a lot today, running errands like crazy before work, after work, trying to get my kids picked up on time, all of that. I realized that I was rushing from one thing to another, being distracted, and not focused on any type of prayer or devotion today- even when I got into the car, the radio would immediately begin and I would start singing along out of habit, maybe tapping my hands nervously on the steering wheel (but to the beat of course). This kind of life is really exhausting- I don't think this is how God wants me to live.

"Look out not only for your own interests, but for the interests of others" Philippians 2:4

If I had seen anyone in need today, though I doubt I really saw anyone, I probably would have said to myself, 'any other time, God, but I am really in a hurry today'. The thing is, this is my life most days, so when would I have time to see other's needs and respond to them as God's body? My prayers today focused on simplifying life. I prayed for God to remind me that my worth is not defined by how much I get done in a day, how to prioritize, and set reasonable expectations so that my daily schedule leaves plenty of time to look out not only for my own interests, but for the interests of others. One other funny thing happened after praying this today- I got in my car later today, turned the radio off, took a deep breath, and then I sang. I didn't sing because the radio was directing me to, or because I had that 'nevous twitch' that just came out as singing or tapping. I sang because I wanted to, and I really meant what I was singing. It was nice, I like this kind of life!

No comments:

Post a Comment