Thursday, July 21, 2011

That's the Way the Cookie Crumbles

5/24/11~ Today I was making cookies for a party I am going to with friends later on tonight. Who doesn't love cookie batter, and fresh cookies right out of the oven (go back and read last week's post and you'll see of course I do!) I knew this would be a struggle but decided that it would be a good challenge to keep my committment even in the face of delicious dessert! So I was baking away and feeling strong against the temptation, when I transfered a cookie from the baking sheet to the cooling rack and a chunk crumbled onto the counter. Without thinking, I instinctively picked it up between my fingers and put it in my mouth. Oh man! Was my fast ruined now? It was totally an accident...but I had to admit it tasted good...so if I broke the fast anyway, I may as well eat a few more right? No, I search my heart and really hear God telling me to

"Take captive every thought and make it obedient to Christ." 2 Cor. 10:5

I felt so emotionally swayed to just give up because I had 'broken the rules' of the fast, and the 'consequence' seemed very pleasing- eat cookies! But I pray today that God will give us the strength to turn back to Him even when I do break His rules, and not give in to worldly pleasures that may seem rewarding for now, but moth and rust will eventually destroy. And I pray that we would be wise to know when we are being swept away by emotions, or truly listening for the Spirit of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment