Thursday, July 21, 2011

Leaving My Gift at the Altar

5/31/11 ~ I woke up in a bad mood today. I'm sorry to say it, but I have been upset with a person in my life for a little while, and it all has cumulated over this past week, and all I can think about is how this person is .........(I'll spare you the negativity so it doesn't rub off on you). But it's Tuesday, so I think the fast will take my mind off of this person, at least for a while, and put me in a more positive mood. All day, though, there has been this other sense, that something is not right. In a moment of prayer, I sense the Word of the Lord reminding me of

Matthew 5:23-34 "If you are offering your gift at the altar, and there remember that your brother has something against you, leave your gift there at the altar. First, go and be reconciled with your brother, then come and offer your gift."

This verse sweeps over me, and I repentfully (is that a word?) pray, Lord, how can I expect you to hear my prayers and accept my sacrifice of fasting when I harboring such negative feelings towards one of your beloved children? My prayers for today were for relationships to be reconciled. I humble myself and forgave first in my heart, then asked for wisdom on how to reconcile with this person directly. I reminded myself of our commonality in this world, of the unknown struggles this person may be facing, and remembered that Jesus took on a lot of injustice, shame, and  outright cruelty, yet while we were these kind of sinners, He died for us. So even if I am wronged by another- maybe even over and over again, God is not far off and knows this kind of suffering. I am still called to love others with the same everlasting love He showed us.

No comments:

Post a Comment