Tuesday, February 28, 2012

There's a Plank Blocking the Mountain

 I wrote in my first post that the reason for starting this blog was that there were/are a lot of 'mountains' that need to be moved in the world- serious problems, serious pain, that can only be moved by God's Spirit, in the situations themselves, or as He works through the Church in ministry. I was in a pretty grouchy mood this morning, but I knew it was still important to keep my committment to fasting and prayer- After all, God needs me to pray for these things, plus, I figured thinking about other people and how bad their situations are would make me feel thankful, blessed, etc. Well, my spirits have been lifted, but not in the way I was expecting. I thought that I was really fasting and praying for these big mountains out there in the world, and God revealed to me in times of prayer today that fasting is as much for me to surrender to the work of the Holy Spirit in me as it is praying for the sending of the Holy Spirit to these other people and situations. I was reminded of the reasons I need to fast and pray, because of the sinful 'planks' in my eye, that keep me from seeing opportunities where God is at work and calling me to serve. So just to summarize for me and for you, the reasons for this weekly fast are:
* To consider others before myself
* To meditate on the eternal things above the temporary
* To practice not letting my circumstances and emotions affect how I treat others or think of God
* To practice self-control
* To remember God's call to service involves sacrifice
* To focus on the work of the Holy Spirit in and around me
* To make prayer a priority and recognize God hears, speaks, and moves through it

I know a lot of people think fasting is old fashioned or associated with the old covenant, but I am not expecting that God will necessarily show more or less favor because of this denial of food. I am, however, praying that God will be pleased with my heart to love, serve, and trust Him, even above the basic earthly 'needs' like eating. And as we draw closer in these times and the planks of sin are removed from my eyes, that when I pray for these other 'mountains', the Holy Spirit will be pleased to work out God's will in the situation and that I can see the path of the race God has marked out for me to run.

The Word:
"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us" Hebrews 12:1

Prayer: To first surrender myself to the Spirit before praying for His work in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment