Wednesday, February 8, 2012

The Heart of the Matter

I had a limited time for dedicated prayer today due to getting ready for and welcoming family into town. So I thought carefully about what to pray about. I thought kind of frantically about all of the things I could use God to fill me with having an extra child in our home for the next two weeks. Instead, I decided to try not to direct my thoughts in any specific direction, being still and quiet, hoping that God would know what I needed. I was reminded of the following verse in the quietness:

The Word: "Out of the overflow of the heart, the mouth speaks." Matthew 12:34

Instead of focusing on making my mouth speak the 'right' things to my children and neighbors, I have to keep reminding myself that it is my heart that will make the difference in what comes out. I continued to sit quietly and ask God to continue to soften parts of my heart that are hard, and fill me with His love.

Something else cool happened in this quietness, the grad students that we share a wall with started to play 'music', the bass of which made our wall vibrate slightly. Slight annoyance subsided quickly when I realized the bass sounded exactly like a heartbeat...cool right?

Prayer: For all of us as Christians to remember our rebirth, that we are a new creation in Christ Jesus, continuing to conform to His likeness, starting deeply in our hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment