Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Sparkle or Shine

I was writing some letters to my 'Sparklers' small group ladies last night (hello, if you're reading :), and was thinking about how much I missed them, and miss how leading this group encouraged me to:

"Let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds, and praise your Father in Heaven." Matthew 5:16

Today I wrote on my husband's lunch napkin, 'Let's find ways to let our light shine!' It sounded a little silly coming out, and I wondered why- not saying the Bible can't be silly, I think God has a great sense of humor! But I think this was more because we expect youth to be outgoing, take risks, share their faith, invite friends...but adults get in rutts of waking up (tired and worn out), going to work (where they'd rather be doing something else), come home (tired), spend some tme in our own comfortable homes, and go to bed (tired). On good days, we may comment to each other how we saw God at work around us and delighted in it, or went the whole day without getting angry with anyone. The real command here, though, is not just to make it through daily life, keeping to ourselves and making the best lives we can, it's to be actively shining light into the darkness of this world.

My prayer today is for us as the Church, including me, to be encouraged to shine brightly to bring Heaven to earth!

No comments:

Post a Comment