Tuesday, May 1, 2012

A long time

So as evidenced by the posting dates, it has been a while since I fasted. Last week was the first time I actually thought about something and someone to pray and fast for. I did not eat lunch that day, but I spent very little time listening or praying and did not take the time to process the day by blogging about it, which I saw after stopping really helped me internalize what I heard from the Spirit. I knew inadvance that this week a family member was going to have an extremely difficult day and planned to pray and fast for her to feel the comfort and presence of the Lord. When the day rolled around, I am ashamed to say that I made up a bunch of excuses not to follow through with it, the strongest one being I just didn't feel like it. At the end of the day I remembered part of our Sunday's sermon ringing in my head, about how Moses could have missed an amazing experience with God when he saw the burning bush... ("Oh, that's interesting, I will see if it's still burning when i walk back by here next") It wasn't so much that I felt guilty about not praying and fasting, because that's not what it's about, but I do think that I missed an encounter with God, and an opportunity to draw closer to family. So I am writing now to recommitt myself and turn from apathy and other excuses. It is crazy how quickly I can slip back into caring more about myself than sacrificing for someone else, or just going about with my day without thinking of others. I know God will bring an opportunity soon, be back any day now!

No comments:

Post a Comment