Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Feeling Powerful

I think this is an ironic title to choose compared to last week's, but I do beleive both concepts can be true- weakness (reliance on God), and strength.  The topic that kept coming to mind in thought and prayer comes from reading the book "Parent Talk" by Chic Moorman, and is the general idea that what we tell our children, both intentionally and uninetentionally reflects back to them how we see them, and helps them form thoughts about how they see and feel about themselves. I kept thinking that the same concepts apply to ourselves as adults too, that we we say about and to ourselves will form our perception  of who we are, and what we can do. I was looking for evidence for or against this in the Bible, and  the following verses make me think that God wants us to feel strong, rooted, powerful, confident in his love, BECAUSE OF HIS SPIRIT IN US!

The Word:
16 I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, 17 so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, 18 may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, 19 and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.
 20 Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, 21 to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen." Ephesians 3:16-21

Matt and I have talked about our 'default mood', like what is our most common responses in various situations. But I think this may be a disservice to ourselves, because while I admit having a short temper and can get anxious about various things, if I tell myself that my default mood is anger or anxiety, I will keep responding that way. I was happy yesterday when I put the kids down for nap time, started to feel anxious about something, and my first instinct was to go pray- I admittedly got a little confused and thought it was Tuesday so I 'should' pray, but I ended up saying to myself, "I am a pray-er". And I hope that when other situations arise, I will continue to respond that way!

Prayer:
That if anything is holding me (or you) back from serving God fully, serving and loving others fully, that we would feel the Holy Spirit's power in us to overcome any obstacles.

No comments:

Post a Comment