Tuesday, October 18, 2011

How Frail I am

I am posting late tonight, because after a wonderful morning saying goodbye to some visitors, getting the kids a late lunch and to nap time, then taking a short rest, I had a choice to make-either posting on this blog(which sounded fun and energizing), or actually praying for what I am posting about tonight...the fate we all share- death. I chose to pray, reminding me again that today is about connecting with God and being more deeply rooted in Him. This blog is great accountability and hopefully good encouragement for others, but it's not the point. The relative I have been praying for has passed on from this earth, and I was talking to Matt about what it would be like to get the news like he did, that I would only live for 2 days to 3 weeks. What would I do, say, would I have the faith to glorify God not only in life but also in death? And as I was searching for verses for this relative's memorial service, I came across this verse and remembered that I have been given that same death sentence, just maybe with a little longer range...maybe:

The Word:
Psalm 39: 4-7 "Lord, make me to know my end, and what is the measure of my days, That I may know how frail I am. indeed, you have made my days as handbreadths, and my age is as nothing
before you; certainly every man at his best state is but vapor. Surely every man walks about like a shadow;surely they busy themselves in vain; he heaps up riches, and does not know who
will gather them. And now, Lord, what do I wait for? My hope is in you."

After a wonderfully full weekend with our friends, I was finding myself still getting a little stressed after day 5 out of my normal routine- not getting up early to spend time quietly before the Lord, spending more time than usual getting the kids ready for things, being out of the house, cleaning up more, etc. I needed an attitude change, but I ws trying to will it to happen, telling myself I am a 'better' person than that, that I should be a better host for our friends, and enjoy the last day together without any negative attitudes (even though these are friends I can be totally real with and know they still love me). Even comparing my life to my now widowed aunt brought no change in attitude (reminiscent of Eccelesiastes right!). But reading this verse was a great reminder of so many things 1: I shouldn't think of myself more highly than I ought- I'm not better than anything...especially not immune to my sinful heart nature to be selfish, ungrateful, grudging giver. 2: I don't know how many days I have, I should not expect anything, take anything for granted, enjoy each moment. 3: look at my motivations for what I do- am I trying to heap up some riches that I can't take with me out of this world? 4: what is my hope, or more appropriately, in whom who is my hope?

Prayer: Continued comfort for our aunt, for all of us to realize our own frailty, put our hope
in The One who holds eternity.

Food Story: We went to The Original Waffle Sop here in State College with our friends late this morning, and I totally felt like I was cheating my fast because I only had one waffle but still wasn't hungry until like 2 in the afternoon...yum waffle shop, still remembering God in times of hunger or fullness.

No comments:

Post a Comment