Wednesday, October 26, 2011

God Takes the Interstate

I drove to Ohio this past week to spend some time with family, and this time of prayer and fasting has reminded me that God truly is here with us all, as He is back in PA, though I don't have my usual morning devotional times, weekly Life Group, women's Bible Study, Church family, prayer time with my husband, etc... I have also been seeing how my prayer life is being transformed. For instance, Monday night I was laying in bed praying about how to direct the next day's prayers and fasting, and also about a big decision we were trying to make about purchasing a new vehicle. I 'said my prayer', followed by 'Amen'. Then I proceeded to continue, saying 'God, I am still so anxious about this car decision, will you help me to relax and trust in you, knowing that you will make the whole process work if You want it to'. Wait, I told myself, I said 'amen', the prayer is over....but I am learning that God still hears, and I want Him to hear, so I will direct my thoughts, desires, confessions to Him- praying at all times. This was a helpful realization because during my Tuesday, I was driving all around the state of Ohio looking at vehicles. And even though I was tempted to let this situation take over all of my thoughts, I forced myself to dig deeper for something to pray for others for. I have been informed that October is National pregnancy and Infancy loss awareness month. To be honest, I would normally skim over titles like this, saying to myself that every month is _____ awareness month for so many things, and they aren't really 'my thing'...I know that sounds a little heartless, but I think people who have experienced the situations are usually the best at rallying support and educating others anyway. But especially lately, there have been more than a dozen women/families in our lives that have experienced loss of pregnancy at various stages. more than a dozen!!! I know a lot of people, but that is still a staggering number! I thought maybe this should become 'my thing'. How would Jesus respond- what was His thing/things that he really fought for, felt passionately about?

The Word: Phil 4:8
"Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure,whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."


Jesus was involved in children's issues, homeless ministry, issues of starvation, disabilities, politics.... (I could think of more, but it's late)


So I am praying that instead of thinking of things so compartmentalized, I will join with god in anything that celebrates truth, nobility, righteousness, purity, lovely, and admirable, like a month that supports women and families who have experienced loss of life, which God never intended to happen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment