Tuesday, January 8, 2013

A New Year, a New Hunger

Wow, it is sad to see my last post being the end of September. I think I convinced myself away from this special time because of my pregnancy and not feeling physically comfortable with missing a meal, but there is no excuse for still not setting aside time for prayer and reflection or fasting from something else. Our pastor inspired my husband and I to renew a commitment to prayer for our world at the start of this new year and to accompany the commitment to prayer with some kind of fast. So instead of skipping a meal, I decided to abstain from sweets during the week- our pastor reminded us that it is not about us making a sacrifice but redirecting something we hunger for in a wrong way, like I do with sweets all of the time. I am also committing to NOT doing something- starting housework and other tasks before having this time of prayer and reflection each day. I may not blog about it every day, but when I don't have my regular women's Bible study, I have not been countable to really reading God's Word, praying, and reflecting. Thank you pastor Dan and the Holy Spirit for this renewal of hungering for closeness to God personally and in our world!
 :)

James 4:7-10
"Submit yourselves to the Lord, resist the devil, and He will flee from you. draw near to God and he will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded. Be wretched and mourn and weep. Let your laughter be turned into mourning and your joy to gloom. Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will exalt you."

No comments:

Post a Comment