Tuesday, June 5, 2012

For Freedom

Today has been one of those really great days so far, I am feeling extra grateful for all of the blessings in our lives, filled with the Spirit in loving, being patient, etc. On top of that, I am not even feeling very hungry. So as I was praying I thought maybe I should bring to God some additional sacrifice, you know, to make sure I was really suffering through this afternoon :) Quickly after this thought, the Spirit convicted me with a verse we studied at Life Group last night and reminding me that this was not about me going hungry, me feeling like I am righteously giving up something important, or suffering.

The Word
For "It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not be burdened by a yolk of slavery" Galations 5:1

We talked about many examples last night where we can see ourselves being enslaved by ideas, practices, requirements, etc. that God has freed us from, but today this verse struck on a very literal tone with me. Just as the sabbath is a gift to man, so is this quiet time where God promises that He will come and meet me when I seek Him. Today I was able to also be in prayer for friends in other countries where it really does appear outwardly that they are enslaved as followers of Christ, but inwardly they know they possess the whole world and more. So instead of coming up with my own forced, superficial sacrifices, I am resting in the freedom I have to worship God here in the US and thanking Him for a beautiful day as his child in His creation!

Prayer
God, please continue to search me and make me aware of how I am enslaved by things of this world or demands I may try and place on myself. Transform me and renew my mind to focus only on you.

No comments:

Post a Comment